Monday, June 17, 2013

Raw

All in all, I would say life is going great.  I could fill a book with all the things I am thankful for.  However, in the midst of all the great, there has been some icky.  And it's been going on for a while now.  Today it felt heavy.  The kind of heavy that can't be shaken even though you know:
  *God is good
  *My family is amazing
  *I have the best friends in the world
  *Etc
It's heavy because it won't go away on its own.  I won't wake up tomorrow and find that everything is fixed.  I have some decisions to make.  And today I have been thinking about that.  A lot.

When I got home from work, we ate dinner and began the bedtime ritual.  Even with three kids at camp this week, I had that "I am not sure can muster enough energy to see this thing through" feeling.  I had work to do.  Lists to make.  Lunches to pack.  Sleep sounded a lot better.

Then, something amazing happened.  I had only planned to take the fruit and veggie scraps from our kitchen out to the compost pile, then come back inside.  But once I got out to the garden, I started to investigate.  I expected maybe a couple of tomatoes.  A few beans.  Possibly a pepper.  Instead, what I found was:

A baby watermelon! 
 No... TWO baby watermelons!
 The cantaloupe has doubled in size, in what?  A couple of days?!  And he has seven more friends:)
 Okra!  Finally!  Okra!
 The carrots are thickening.
 And the habenero has turned.
Several more tomatoes were ready.
 And two more eggplants.

I don't really know what it is about this gardening thing, but I am pretty sure it is borderline magical.  Nothing about my situation has changed.  But for tonight, I am no longer tired.  The ickiness has subsided.  The weight has lifted.  And things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment