Thursday, January 10, 2013

One Step At A Time

I love the idea that Scripture is active and living.  That a story I have read 100xs can suddenly take on a new and significant meaning.  What used to be just another inspirational verse is now chock full of wisdom and deep personal application.

If I had to pick one story that has resonated with me in a new and powerful way, it would be the story of Abraham.  In short, God told him to pack up and go.  Take his family, all of his possessions, and head out.  Abraham is willing but he wants to know the plan (don't we all?).  God basically says "I'll tell you when you get there."  Amazingly, Abraham complies and trusts God.  He heads out.  No map. No itinerary.  Just his family (think more like tribe), their stuff, and a whole lotta desert up ahead.

Seven years ago Ray and I knew it was time for a move.  Asa was newborn and I had recently graduated college.  Ray began sending out resumes (only to beach towns- good thinking', babe!).  He took a job in Sarasota, FL and we were really excited to be moving on.  It seemed like a simple act of obedience, even though we were moving far away from everyone we knew to a new city where we knew no one.  There was more excitement than fear or worry.

I have to wonder how different our response would have been had the whole picture been revealed to us.  All we knew was that we had a kid, a new job in a sweet beach town, and we were packing up.  But what if God had said up front, "I want you to move far away from everyone you know with your newborn son.  You will not make friends quickly or easily.  Next year you will become pregnant again and welcome a daughter to the family.  She will be six weeks old when Jody heads back to work.  A year after that you will buy your first home and renovate it.  You will think this is your forever home but it is not.  The following year you will become foster parents and welcome three, then ultimately six, sweet babies into your family (and by babies I mean teenagers and toddlers).  You will move four times in less than two years.  You'll sell your old home, buy a new one, and renovate it (for two months you will have no kitchen).  Don't worry though, it's gonna be great!!"

Somehow I doubt we would have been so excited about our move to FL.  We may have considered telling God no.  And even if we had said yes, I would have fretted over every minor decision I made from that point on, wondering if it was the right one that would get us to our God-ordained destiny.

Knowing too much too soon can be detrimental to our faithfulness.  And God knows this.  I am thankful for a recent conversation with a friend that reminded me of this truth.  There is power in simple obedience.  I don't need to hyper-plan my life.  Today is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment