Friday, January 25, 2013

You Could Fill A Book

Anyone who is around me much knows that I am never too far from my iPhone.  Back right pocket, quick on the draw to shoot a text.  I am far from the person who thinks that technology can replace meaningful, human interactions but honestly, what DID we do before text messaging?!  My kids are hilarious and on a daily basis say the funniest stinkin' things.  Many of them are text-worthy.  For example, last week I was playing catch with the boys.  Asa threw to Matthew and the ball fell 10 feet short of his glove.  Emotionless, Matthew utters "lame."  That's good content, people.  Funny stuff happening up in here.
Partly because I readily share funny kid stories, and partly because we stepped into mega-familyhood almost overnight, I have had several people encourage me to write these things down.  "You could fill a book."
Ray and I, along with some of our good friends (who we call family) are developing this idea.  We have this amazing community, a collection of lives and stories that are being woven together in such a beautiful way.  Aside from salvation, this community is perhaps the greatest gift I have been given (7 years is not so long ago that I have forgotten what it feels like to be lonely).  It is a gift, not only to me, but to my kids.  "Is anyone coming over tonight?" they ask in anticipation.  The answer is almost always yes.  
So this idea of putting our lives on paper is progressing.  I am keeping notes of things I hope to write about someday.  The funny kid comments are being documented.  I have asked people close to me to remind me of some stories gone by, ones we don't want to forget (thanks, Jen, for being my friend who remembers EVERYTHING).  I am encouraging Ray to write more.  If anyone needs to write, it's him.  That guy is deep, and hilarious.  The perfect combo for readers.  My friend Marty has started a blog about his homeless and disadvantaged friends (they're just friends to us, but the world seems to need the classification still).
Currently the stories are separate but we half-joke about compiling them some day.  Ray's quippy one-liners (packed with truth and humor) could serve as chapter titles.  Texts to and from each other could provide much of the content.  Real life.  Sometimes mundane.  Often chaotic.  Always authentic.  Full of love.  And totally worth writing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment